Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mama Needs a New Pair of Shoes y Mucho Mas



I have heard people say that people in Panama have so much heart and their sweetness and generosity is what really makes this country a magical place. Well, perhaps these comments were made about the folks living in the countryside or on the islands because I have found the people in the city to be so dry and unhelpful that it sends me into a silent fit every time i encounter one. Today i was shopping in the HUGE Albrook mall where it takes days to traverse the entire space. I was desperately searching for a bathing suit or at least some article of clothing that is new and has not been worn during pregnancy or directly after. My attire, as of the last 3 years has been horrible, to say the least. I have thrown on anything that does the job not caring about expressing my keen fashion sense I have been obsessed with my gorgeous girls from the moment of their birth and, need i mention, have forgotten entirely about myself and how i represent myself to the world. I have noticed, as of late, that I dress worse than the maids. The clothes that my maid brings to change into for cleaning are similar to my daily wear. It’s really quite embarrassing. I think that the folk that see me out of my house assume that I am not somebody’s help solely because of the color of my skin. If i had darker skin I would most definitely be presumed to be the nanny or the maid. I’m not worried about what others perceive my status to be, i am only bringing attention to the fact that it is due time that i dress in what suits me rather than whatever covers my body.

Anyway, the clerks at these stores are so unfriendly, i feel like smacking them. They won’t even make eye contact when you ask them something and will absolutely not go out of their way to help. I wanted to try on a shirt from one department along with some bathing suits from another area- same store, mind you. And the lady said i couldn’t bring the shirt into the dressing room. I had to try it on downstairs. I had no idea how to tell her in spanish that that was totally ridiculous and please don’t make me go into a different dressing room, because i won’t. So i said it in english just to see if my emotion would get across, if not my words. She looked around and then handed me the shirt without even looking at me as if she were really risking her life for my comforts. This is but one example of what happens EVERYWHERE i go. Maybe they are just sick of gringos in their country but i see them treat everyone like this. It really makes me appreciate the customer service training that so many American companies put their employees through. Nordstrom and Whole Foods seem like a slice of heaven compared to any store here in Panama. They smile and say hello. wow. i look forward to that again someday.

Well, no bathing suit for this mama but i did find a pair of shorts which is a dream cuz i NEVER wear shorts. Now my palette is wet for some more shopping!!!!

No comments: